Saturday, December 22, 2007

Rick's Runt

(Another poem in the Telescope Builder series)

Rick got a dog, a little black and white one
Its head was big, its tongue stuck out
I could tell it was the runt of the litter because
Before I got my own dog I’d read about how to pick one

I went to Mike’s house one night when his parents
Were out of town; we were going to watch TV
But he went out for a ride with Roberta’s brother and Rick
And some other kids; there wasn’t room for me in the car

Back at junior high on Monday I stopped eating lunch with them
And I guess Rick felt betrayed so when he saw me
Alone one day outside class he said I could punch him
But then he would punch me back

Rick was bigger and stronger than I was
So I wasn’t going to punch him
I didn’t really have anything against Rick
I just didn’t want to hang around with that crowd anymore

One day Vice Principal Drummond said on the loudspeaker
That a little black and white dog with a big head and its tongue hanging out
Had followed some kids to school and if anyone knew whose it was,
Come to the office. I knew it was Rick’s dog

I figured Rick would have heard the announcement
And gone to get his dog.
So I went to my next class; I could’ve stopped by
Drummond’s office, but I didn’t

I saw Rick a few days later and asked him if he got his dog back
He didn’t understand what I was talking about. He had stayed home that day
To look for the dog, who had run away. When I told him
About Drummond’s announcement, he called me a liar.

Drummond must’ve sent Rick’s dog to the pound
I didn’t want Rick’s dog to die. Why didn’t I go
To Drummond’s office and tell him it was Rick’s dog?
The poor dog. I don't even remember his name.

No comments: